Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Oh Man Am I Glad the Tour de Fleece is Over

Tour de Fleece ended on Sunday with the Tour de France... I spun nearly every day and as much as I like to spin I think it was a bit excessive. I spun:

  • 6 oz of hand dyed merino, about 500 yd fingering weight 2 ply, destined to be woven into a scarf for DH. It's the left over roving from the sweater I knit for him.
  • 2 Acacia Merino Multipacks from Opulent Fibers (total 5 oz); two ply heavy lace to light fingering. It's going to be a shawl.
  • Some unevenly woolen spun cormo singles, from a cormo named Hopi. I bought the raw fleece for it's unusual light fawn color (who knew cormo came in fawn?). Turns out Hopi, a white sheep, like to roll in fawn colored dirt. Anyways, it was fun to wash, card then spin it. I have another pile to card/spin then I'll ply it all together.
  • About 2 oz of Abstract Fibers Polworth-Silk  in the Mousse colorway. It's like crack, if you could spin crack and get addicted. I'm about 3/4 of the way through the 8 oz I bought last October at SOAR.
I also plied some spindle spun silk that I'd spun from the silk hankies we got at the knitting retreat four years ago.  The singles had been sitting for more than a year, so I put them back through the wheel to add more twist, then plied with silk and rayon thread with random bead.  I believe I have about 200 yards of yellow-green three ply, uneven lace weight. It's exactly what I'd envisioned and a total art yarn. 

Pictures? OK, they're coming. Hang tight.


1 comment:

  1. Nice. I totally remember the silk hankies. BTW...I have more fiber for you somewhere in my closet Trixee.

    ReplyDelete